PrincipalSan Francisco, CA
Mr. Gemmill has extensive experience in the analysis, design, and construction of a wide variety of large-scale projects, including tall buildings, university facilities, laboratories, hospitals, seismic retrofit, adaptive reuse, residential buildings, and large-scale commercial development. He is also a specialist in applying state-of-the-art technologies--such as passive energy dissipation and base isolation--to building structures in the context of performance based seismic design. Mr. Gemmill plays a prominent technical role for NYA and manages NYA’s San Francisco office.
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Materials, University of California, Berkeley
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Maryland at College Park, Cum Laude
- Vallco Town Center
- Apple Park
- New Stanford Hospital
- Westfield San Francisco Centre
- Genentech Headquarters
- 50 United Nations Plaza Retrofit
- Presidio Landmark
- UCSF Dolby Regeneration Medicine Building
- UCSF Hellen Diller Cancer Research Building
- UCSF Regeneration Medicine Building, SEAONC Dinner Presentation, San Francisco, CA, February 2011.
- Emporium Redevelopment – Westfield San Francisco Centre, SEAONC Dinner Presentation, San Francisco, CA, August 2006.
- Design of a New Steel Moment Frame Building Incorporating Viscous Dampers Following the Guidelines of the 1999 SEAOC Blue Book, Applied Technology Council Convention, ATC17-2, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002.
- Virtual Base Isolation by Building Softening with Drift Control Provided by Fluid Viscous Dampers, Seventh U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Boston, MA, July 2002.
- Structural Engineers Association of Northern California
- SEAONC Board of Directors (2011-13)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Applied Technology Council
- Licensed Structural Engineer – California
- Licensed Civil Engineer – California
- Structural Engineer’s Association of California Seismic Design Manual #5 – Examples of Seismically Isolated Buildings and Buildings with Dampers, SEAOC, 2013
- Recommended Administrative Bulletin on the Seismic Design and Review of Tall Buildings Using Non-Prescriptive Procedures, prepared for City of San Francisco Department of Building Inspection, SEAONC AB-083 Task Group, April 2007.
- Virtual Base Isolation by Building Softening with Drift Control Provided by Fluid Viscous Dampers, Proceedings of the Seventh U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, EERI, Boston, MA, 2002.
- Retrofit of a Metropolitan Midrise to Improve Torsional Response Using Nonlinear Fluid Viscous Dampers, Proceedings of the Seventh U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, EERI, Boston, MA, 2002.
- Design of a New Steel Moment Frame Building Incorporating Viscous Dampers Following the Guidelines of the 1999 SEAOC Blue Book, Proceedings of the Seminar on Response Modification Technologies for Performance-Based Seismic Design, ATC 17-2, Los Angeles, CA, 2002.